Of course we all know that using a mattress protector is the best way to prevent damage to our beloved mattresses and keep them looking and smelling like new – but accidents sometimes happen and they are bound to show wear eventually. Below are a few of our favorite tips and tricks for refreshing your mattress and getting a little more life out of it.
- Pull out the vacuum! That’s right, if you have a good, clean vacuum with attachments, go ahead and remove dirt and dust from the top and sides of your mattress – quick and easy! For extra odor reduction, lightly sprinkle baking soda (you can even add your favorite essential oils) on your mattress before vacuuming!
- Wet/Dry vacuums are a good option for liquid spills/stains that you catch right away.
- Got a tough stain? There are many DIY stain remover mixtures out there, the simplest being a small mixture of warm water and laundry detergent, which should work for most minor stains, to hydrogen peroxide, liquid dish soap, and baking soda or lemon juice and salt for tougher stains. Always use a soft wash cloth or sponge, blot, and do not over-scrub and risk damage to your mattress fabric!
- Use the little fabric shaver you use on your favorite winter sweaters to remove pilling from your mattress and make it look brand new again!
- While your linens are in the wash, take advantage of the nice day and open your windows to give your mattress some fresh air!
- If you didn’t have one on before, now is the time to invest in that mattress protector! This is a critical step to prevent odors, keep out bed bugs and other allergens – and you can prevent stains from spills with a waterproof mattress protector.
Disclaimer(s): Always check your mattress warranty before using any cleaners, chemicals, or household tools/instruments on your mattress. Always wear personal protective equipment when performing household tasks with power tools or chemicals. CMC is not responsible for damage to personal property when executing tasks listed in blog posts or on social media platforms.